Thursday, March 24, 2011

Join the Movement with the J-Walkers

From Sara:  Today's post is written by Jenny, captain of the team we're participating with for Multiple Scleroris fundraising


I was thrilled when Sara offered to donate a portion of March proceeds to our fundraising cause.  Not only because this gives me a fantastic excuse to order more cake pops, but because I love that my friend thought to do this for me and this cause.

I was diagnosed in September 2009.  I went to the doctor to look into numbness and tingling that began in my feet and slowly crept up above my knees.  I often joked about how I could wear uncomfortable shoes all day!  My doctor sent me to a neurologist for a string of medical tests.  I had been seeing another doctor for what I thought were unrelated symptoms, but as it turned out everything strange going on in my body could be attributed to Multiple Sclerosis.  



MS is a chronic disease that attacks the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves.  Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS are unpredictable and vary from one person to the next.  The diagnosis stage was scary for me and my family.  Navigating treatment options was equally as overwhelming.  I never thought I'd be able to give myself injections!  The disease-modifying drug slows down the progress of the disease.

I decided to create a team for the MS Walk because I needed to do something more.  There is no cure for Multiple Sclerosis.  The National MS Society helps people affected by MS by funding cutting-edge research, driving change through advocacy, and providing services that help people with MS.  It's been an incredible resource for me from the beginning.



I loved doing the MS Walk last year.  My team, the "J-Walkers" grew to an unbelievable 98 members and raised nearly $12,500!  This was such an unexpected show of support for me and my family.  I enjoyed raising money for a cause that was suddenly very important to me and it was so nice to have something positive to associate with my MS. 


I'm used to my symptoms now.  Injections don't scare me and I'm fairly certain I could do my third MRI without any drugs to counter the claustrophobia (no promises!)  This is the new normal and to be honest, I'm thankful because things could be so much worse.  I have a wonderful husband, beautiful daughter, a son on the way, and very supportive friends and family.  I don't know what will happen, but I know I'll adapt to whatever comes my way and that I'll keep walking in the MS Walk as long as I'm able. 

Thank you, Sara for your generous contribution and to all of your customers who place orders this month!  I truly appreciate your support!   


2 comments:

  1. This is why I need to buy all the cake pops that I need for the year before the end of the month. Great guest post - thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete